22 April 2009

Well, That Didn't Work

Ok, the great Prednisone/Topamax experiments did not work.

While taking the Prednisone, it seemed the headaches were slightly less severe, but it was such a slight difference I think it was more hope than actuality. Darn.

As for the Topamax, it may eventually have been able to help me. However, by the time I was up to 4 pills/night (total of 200 mg), the side effects were too much too take. I was so loopy that I almost felt drunk (without the fun of tequila!) and had an even more difficult time concentrating on such hard items as, um, sitcoms or conversations with Bobby. So, Bobby and I made a decision to wean me back off the Topamax. At 3 pills/night the side effects are manageable, but they don't seem to stop the headache, so what's the point?

As for the headache, the base pain level (the constant pain that's always there) is moved up from a level 5/6 to a 6/7. What used to be occasional stabbing points of pain have now evolved into the feeling of 4-legged animals (ranging from goats to Clydesdales to elephants) tap-dancing on my head without any prior notice. And, yes, they are wearing the metal taps on their feet. All four of their feet. And sometimes they are not dancing solo. And they are definitely not light on their feet.

So, I'm going back to the neurologist tomorrow (Thursday). I want to go over everything with him and see if there are some other tests/procedures we can try or even if it might be beneficial to redo some now that it's been a few months. I will let y'all know what we figure out.

Oh, I did act like a somewhat normal human being over the weekend. We did have a couple people over for a "test run" of Soccer Saturday for the first time in a long time. It went ok, though I did have to basically check out of the conversation after a fairly short time, and there was no way I could actually keep up with the 2 or 3 games on the televisions at the same time. That ability is definitely beyond me at this point in time. Oh, well.