16 January 2009

Friday?? Right??

I just have a hard time keeping track of which day it is...a bad side effect of not working.

Anyway, I've survived the MLS Superdraft. Barely. We got to St. Louis yesterday and went to the convention center shortly before the doors opened for the draft. Our team owners had insured that the KC Wizards fans would have seats in the first few rows, so that was great! Several other small groups of KCW fans had also shown up, so we had people to talk with. I was doing fine noise-wise until the draft got under way. Then, in addition to video segments which would come on at high volume, the supporters group from St. Louis (they don't have a team, but they're trying to get one in MLS) would begin their chanting/singing. Loudly, as any decent supporters' group should! Then, they had a drum. Normally, I love the fact that supporters' clubs use drums and anything else to make noise. This time, not such a good thing for me. I managed to stay in the room for the duration of the first round, but my head felt like it was going to explode by then. I spent the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft in a chair in the space outside the ballroom. A bit noisy, but definitely much more bearable for me.

We went to the hotel and then out to eat (it was REALLY cold walking around downtown St. Louis!). My head still hurt, but it was down to a level where I could function reasonably well.

After we got up this morning, we went back to the convention center to tour all the cool soccer-related stuff in the exhibition hall. There are a lot of really intriguing soccer things out there! We learned some things, saw some old friends and got some trinkets. For an exhibition hall, it wasn't terribly noisy, but after about an hour or so, I had to sit down. My head was beginning to hurt worse gradually and I was feeling a bit weak and woozy. So, I spent most of the rest of the time in the nice comfy chair I located while Bobby looked through the rest of the exhibits. He bought some soccer scarves and we were on our way out.

So, we're now at Bobby's parents' house. I have some pain, but it's lessened considerable since we arrived here. I was able to lay down and nap for about an hour, which helped. We then had a great fried chicken dinner (thanks, Jean!) and then I decided to log on and update this (Jean told me to, too).

I had about as much fun as I could the last couple of days, but the severity of the pain when I was around noise and activity just really brought home how bad the headache is. At home in a more or less controlled environment, there isn't often a big swing in the level of pain. Boy, there sure is a big swing when I'm out in the real world!

Ok. Gotta go now. Dishwasher's going and I'm too close to it here. I'll probably write more tomorrow.

Love to everyone!