13 January 2009

Gotta love insurance companies, right?

Well, the neurologist's nurse called me this morning and said that my insurance company had denied the request for the CTA! She said the doctor would review my chart/blood tests and see what the next step should be. They'll get back to me.

So, Bobby had taken a 1/2 day off work today (it's slow at work), and we were headed to Target, which is across from my primary care doctor's office. I had Bobby go there and we went inside where I just asked if I could talk to the nurse for a minute. The nurse came out shortly and I informed her of what the neurologist had said (worried about diabetes later in my life) and that the insurance company had denied the authorization for the CTA test. She looked shocked. At that point, I asked if I could go back and use their scale (to find out about that possible mysterious 20 pound loss). She took me on back and while I used the scale (without the 20 pound loss, mind you!) the doctor saw me and came over to ask what was going on with me as he had not yet received a report from the neurologist. I explained what was going on and about the denied CTA test, as well as the fact that the insurance company had denied payment for the head MRI I had done last month. Both he and the nurse looked a bit angry and the doctor told me to get the insurance information to him and he'll call and find out what's going on.

After our outing to Target and a late lunch at Long John Silver's, we came home and I looked up the claim/authorization request numbers and other information and left a message for my primary doctor's nurse.

I still have not heard back from the neurologist about our plan going forward.

Meanwhile, my head still hurts. Fortunately, it hasn't been terrible today.