06 January 2009

Neurologist visit

Well, I just got home from the appointment with the neurologist. He did all kinds of neurological tests (go figure!), and looked at my CT films and MRI test. He really needed some blood test results from my regular doctor, which he had not yet received. At this point, he said the spots on my brain are "very non-specific" and he saw nothing else abnormal on the MRI. However, he is going to schedule me for a CTA, which is a type of CT scan done rapidly after injecting a dye. This will allow them to see blood vessels and that type of thing so he can see if any of the vessels are enlarged (vasculitis). They'll call me once that is scheduled.

He said that headaches can be caused by some type of infection and may eventually go away. However, I hadn't had any type of recent infection prior to the start of the headaches in November. So, since regular types of painkillers didn't do anything for the headache, he gave me a prescription for something else to try. I start out with a small dose and increase it each week until I reach the max or find a level that stops the headache.

He also told me to make some lifestyle changes, including going to bed and getting up at the same time each day! Hmmmm, do I go for that 2:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. sleep schedule my body prefers or an earlier schedule that I can stay on when I go back to work? At any rate, that will probably be a difficult change for me.

He also wants me to lose weight and watch my sugar intake to avoid getting diabetes. He said I'm certain to get it without making changes. He wants me to start with 3 minutes of cardiovascular exercise a day and work up to 20 - 30 minutes a day. Well, I knew I really needed to be exercising, anyway. I just need to figure out some good cardio exercises that don't require gym equipment. If I have to go somewhere else to exercise, it won't happen. He recommended an elliptical machine, which I don't have. Anyone around KC have one they're not using? The sugar will be slightly more difficult to eliminate. I don't drink coffee or tea and I'm allergic to common artificial sweeteners, so my usual drinks (soda & Kool-Aid) are out. I guess I better start liking water more, eh? I have to get some lemons...I'll drink water if there's lemon in it. All this may not have a direct bearing on the headaches, but the healthier I am the better, right?

Odd thing about my weight though - - - I would swear that my last visit to my regular doctor (3 weeks or so ago) my weight was 20 pounds more than what it was today! I'm going to have the nurse look at my records and find out. I don't feel any thinner, but you'd think 20 pounds would be noticeable!

So, I'll start the new drugs tonight, wait for the CTA to be scheduled and pray the headaches go away. I'll also keep pestering my doctor to get those blood test results to the neurologist. I'll also start working on those lifestyle changes.